Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How Do You Eat An Elephant? In Very Small Bites!!


This is similar to writing a book. 

You may recall from my last post that one of my goals to accomplish over my career/life is to write a book. I also deputized each of you to be part of my accountability group and help me reach my goal.

Here’s an update.  So far, I have a title, dedication, bullet point outline and about 800 words written.  FYI, a book needs to be a minimum of 60,000 words.  So, for my non-math guys, my book is exactly 1.333333% complete!   However, if I take my own advice and eat the elephant one small bite at a time, the book will get done.

Now I am whining, but please indulge  me (this is the last time I will complain, promise.)  Writing a book:    it seems fairly easy – ya,  for someone  else and  if you put your nose to the grind stone, but believe me it’s hard!! Remember, I have a full time job, wife and a family, so my writing is in my free time, which g-d forbid, interferes with “Words with Friends” time, so no more acceptances that are new.

I was having writer’s remorse that other than a good title (at least I think so and from other people’s reaction, it seemed to be good) maybe the story is not that interesting, except to my Mom.  But I have the need to get it out.  I feel that my story is a microcosm of most of our lives.  By sharing maybe someone else’s life will be better because I ate the elephant one bite at a time! 

P.S.  Here’s the title:  “How to get Picked last In Gym and Survive!”  (The Plight of Just an Average Guy).   A funny thing I discovered as I talked to people about my book is that everyone has a story they want to tell too.  So this process is much more than about writing a book; its about life.
I welcome your stories and comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story and comments. I want to hear!